Tuesday, 15 April 2014

Sugar in Fruit - The Beloved Banana

Ohhhh, the beloved Banana- I LOVE THEM, but I don’t eat them too often anymore (almost never really). My friends laugh when I tell them bananas are in the toxic zone and you shouldn't..... I’ll stop there- I’m not going to tell you not to feed your little monsters bananas, but I would certainly recommend not giving them one every morning!

Here’s why:
While bananas are full of goodness including Copper, Biotin, Potassium, Fiber, Vitamin B6 & C, Manganese, many parents don’t realise how much sugar is actually in a banana. Obviously, the primary sugar which you’ll find in a banana is fructose, “the sugar that’s most damaging to our health.” (The Better Baby Book by L. Asprey, MD & D. Asprey) 
You also don’t need to eat bananas for the potassium (Avocado has more than twice as much potassium) and I’d like to bet your child (and you) throw the potassium filled bits away – you know those not so nice tasting stringing bits- bye, bye potassium! Anyways, back to the sugar- a banana has 17grams of sugar in it- that's 4 1/4 teaspoons.
 So bananas are very high in sugar, along with grapes, melons, cantaloupe and raisins (among others) – did I just name your kid's top 5 fruits? – Sorry! I’m sure they love apple, blueberries, apricots, kiwi, oranges, peaches & pears!? Again, I am sorry to say these are still high in sugars and NO fructose is not a healthy sugar- YES healthier than a candy bar, but stop hiding behind that one!

The lowest-sugar fruits are lemons and limes. Now I know we all find it extremely funny watching their little faces pucker-up, but I can say with confidence these are not your child’s favourite fruits, nor yours (unless they’re in a G n’ T!). Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, cranberries, pineapple and tangerines, follow lemon and lime in lowest-sugar content, which I think is a top bunch and most kids, after being introduced to these fruits, love them! 

Bulletproof
If you and your little monsters eat loads of fresh vegetables and meats (along with healthy oils and fats) and run around like little monkeys, 2-3 organic pieces of fruit a day shouldn't be an issue. Understanding what is actually in your little monsters food and how they react to it is key! You now have some facts about sugar and fruit, so it’s up to you to keep your little monsters healthy!!
FYI: When I do eat a banana- I do it right! Like, make Banana IceCream or a loaf of Banana Bread, because really if you’re going to have that much sugar from a banana, you should just go for The Whole Shabang!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment